Packing for Gorilla trekking safari.
Gorilla Trekking or Gorilla tracking:
I have been asked so many times by clients and friends planning to go on this once in life time experience of Gorilla trekking, Gorilla tracking. My advice has always been based on my first hand experience of tracking these amazing animals. Mountain gorillas are found in Uganda, Rwanda and DRC although Uganda and Rwanda are most common place people go to find them. They live high in the Virunga mountains range or deep in the thick African jungle of the cheekily named Bwindi Impenetrable National park in Uganda. This real African adventure as can possibly ask for. So wearing the right clothing is part of experience.
Comfort vs fashion
It’s always good idea select your clothing based on comfort. Safari clothes should be washable, cotton or natural fabrics (not synthetics like nylon) and loose fitting. Clothing should be light colored (tan, khaki, or neutral colors) on safari; it keeps you comfortable and is unobtrusive and non-threatening to wildlife.
I know so many people have had to go on a spending spree to buy some expensive fashionable clothing, in my opinion they maybe unnecessary expense.
The following items are essential packing for Gorilla trekking, Gorilla tracking safaris :
- A well broken-in, comfortable, and waterproof pair of lightweight hiking boots
- Walking shoes and/or a pair of sport sandals.
- 2-3 long-sleeved shirts. Make sure that one of these shirts can close up completely/button to the neck
- 2-3 short-sleeved shirts and/or t-shirts.
- 2-3 pairs of long pants or trousers.
- Underwear, socks, sleepwear.
- Prescription drugs if you use them (keep the labels on)
- A lightweight fleece or light jacket for cool evenings.
- A lightweight day pack for carrying camera, film, hat, sunscreen, etc (you can also use your day pack as your carry-on bag).
- Money belt or waist pack for money/passport.
- Sunglasses & sunscreen
- Lightweight, wide-brimmed hat
- A pair of cotton or lightweight gloves for gorilla trekking (some of the plants in the forest are prickly, and you might have to grab onto vines and trees, so it is a good idea to wear lightweight gloves)
- Waterproof poncho
- Insect repellent( keeps away those annoying flies and some other bugs)
Want more information? CONTACT US NOW